This is me. I suck at selfies.
On March 20th, as it is the first day of spring, I am going to shave this beard. But! Between March 1st and March 20th, I have decided that I am going to allow someone else to decide the fate of my facial hair.
That someone…might be you. Yes! You. Winner of the 2006 Time Person of the Year. But! In order for it to be YOU, you need to win…the contest.
Announcing! The first annual (maybe, if it works) Sean Abbott Charity Bearded Face Auction!
The concept is simple. Donate to a charity in my name. If you donate more than anyone else, you get to pick what happens to my facial hair between March 1st and March 20th. I will have a professional shave me to your specifications, and I will post weekly-ish updates to verify that I am following your desires.
Now, since I’m hoping to get a fair bit of participation, it is my face, and I’d like to enjoy this enough to actually make it annual, here’s a few rules. I will try VERY hard not to change these too much, but it’s possible that I’ll need to make an update or two. I promise the updates will not change the determination of the winner.
So here are the instructions:
- Donate to a charity in my name. (Sean Abbott)
- You’ll receive a 5% bonus to the amount if you donate to the EFF
- You’ll receive a 15% bonus if you donate to SMLX Good (This is a charity run by a friend of mine and they’re doing good work.)
- I reserve the right to penalize your submission by up to 50% if it’s asymmetrical. I’ll try to be brave, but I really don’t want to hate myself for a month.
- Pick a picture, or fill out this handy base image with the beard you want. Find a way to communicate what your beard idea is, is what I’m saying. Be creative, that’s fine. If you win, I’ll make sure you get what you want by talking to you.
- Send me the donation receipt. username is seanscharitybeard. Email service is protonmail.com. put an ‘@’ between the two and it’ll be fine. It needs to be in my name or have a note so I know you donated for this contest. Let me know what name you’d like me to post about you as (can be anonymous, that’s fine) so I can try and get a little competition going on.
- If you donate more than anyone else (after modifications), you win! I will have a professional shave your desired beard onto my face.
A few restrictions, caveates and notes.
- No hitler mustaches. In todays political climate, I don’t want some antifa that I normally would agree with to punch me in the face. That won’t be fun or funny.
- Please donate to organizations that I will mostly agree with. You can hit me up if you’re curious, but a good rule of thumb is “liberal”. If you donate to focus on the family, Imma ignore you.
- See the bullet points for Rule 1.
I’ll be updating this post with lists of who donated and what their style recommendations are. And possibly, if I get interest and questions, with an FAQ or something.
Here’s a few ideas to let you you know about the possibilities:
Here’s a couple with a “horseshoe” mustache and mutton chops:
Here’s one with just the chops:
And here’s another mustachey thing I did when shaving a beard one time:
I can probably come up with more examples if ya’ll need. Have at it! And THANK YOU! in advance. :-)
Why are you giving extra to a favorite charity of yours?
Well. It’s my face, and I know exactly how good a person Elly (who runs SMLX Good) is, and how much good she’s doing, and how hard she works. So…that’s why. My intention was to help raise awareness for someone very good with my face. If that bothers you so much that you don’t want to donate I guess I don’t really understand, and I wish you didn’t feel that way, but such is life.
When do we have to have donated by?
Donations need to be in and sent to me by March 1st. The contest ends on March 1st. I will be scheduliing a beard shaving on March 1st.
What if I make multiple donations?
I will aggregate all donations from an individual into a single pool.
How much are you expecting people to donate?
I’m hoping for coffee amounts here, folks. I had one person who didn’t because she thought I was looking for like..$50. No no no…I’m hoping to get to like $100 total. PLEASE don’t let the thought that this is high-roller stop you from donating.
How do I submit again?
Forward your donation receipt to firstname.lastname@example.org
UPDATE 1: 17 February 2017
In addition to the FAQ above, we’ve had our first donor! See the list below!
UPDATE 2: 22 February 2017
GUYS! We’ve hit 6 donors! THANK YOU SO MUCH! Keep ‘em coming! You’ve got ‘til midnight on 28 February! Yay! We’ve also had our first person playing “price is right” style bidding. :-)
UPDATE 3: 1 March 2017
It’s all over! We have a winner! I will be making another post announcing the winner when I’ve actually got my beard groomed as directed.
Together, you raised $177.84 for charity! You all rock so hard! Thank you so much!
DONOR THANK YOUS!
|Donor Name||Donation to||Date||Style|
|Dana||SMLX Good||16 Feb||N/A|
|Diana||SMLX Good||21 Feb||N/A|
|Tamar||Healthy Families America||21 Feb||N/A|
|“President Snow”||SMLX Good||22 Feb||Hunger Games|
|Pete||SMLX Good||22 Feb||N/A|
|Adam||Cancer Research UK||25 Feb||Amish|
|Alexis||Amnesty International||28 Feb||Mutton Chops|